WebsiteCA Finance Africa Recruitment
Reference No. THJ
Reference Number: DVM
The client is a financial services & investment group operating across the African continent. The main purpose of the role will be to ensure statutory compliance and good governance across all the companies within the Group.
- Manage the company secretarial operations across various countries and operational companies in Africa.
- Work closely with the group compliance team to ensure compliance with all local legislation in various countries.
- Serve as the Secretary to the Group Tax Committee, Group Audit Committee and Group Capital Advisory Committee.
- Update and maintain group organograms, committee terms of reference, board charters, delegation of authority framework.
- Ensure compliance with stock exchange requirements for listed companies within the Group, compliance with local corporate governance rules such as King III/IV, CMA Corporate Governance Rules (applicable in Kenya and Uganda) and various other legislation across operational countries.
- Set up new companies, amend Memoranda and Articles/MOI, and deregister companies as per business requirements.
- Induct new directors and provide training and continuous development for directors.
- Monitor changes in laws and advise boards on impact of these changes.
- Liaise with external auditors, lawyers, registrar of companies and regulators.
- Review financial statements for statutory compliance and accuracy of statutory information.
- Administration and maintenance of Group companies' secretarial records.
- Preparation and timeous lodgment of all statutory and other relevant returns with registrar of companies.
- Drafting of director resolutions and minute taking.
- Planning the annual meeting calendar for the entire Group
- Preparation of meeting agendas and ensuring correct compilation and timeous distribution of meeting packs.
- Provide effective administrative company secretarial support to the boards and their committees.
- Maintain suitable and adequate documentation of all work performed.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all tasks executed.
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- South African citizen
- An Associate (ACIS) or Fellow (FCIS) member of the Chartered Secretaries Southern Africa (CSSA).
- Candidates MUST be a qualified Chartered Secretary (ACIS – Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators).
- An undergraduate law degree (such as B.Proc, B. Juris, LLB) with Company Law as a subject will be advantageous.
Experience / Background Preference:
- The company will only look at candidates who have no less than SIX years relevant, working experience within a Company Secretarial environment.
- At least TWO years in a senior managerial role.
- Experience gained and exposure to the Company Secretarial work should have been hands on.
- Extensive experience in minute taking is essential.
- An excellent understanding of Company Law and the ability to interpret written laws.
- An excellent understanding of the statutory requirements relating to company formations, special resolutions, board resolutions, minutes and notice of meetings will be advantageous.
- A strong understanding of finance is essential. As such, previous accounting or bookkeeping exposure will be highly advantageous.
- An excellent command of English, both written and verbal is a requirement of the role.
- Strong MS Office skills are essential.